New York City is known for having some of the best food in the world, with restaurants and bakeries at every corner. But with so many options, it can be easy to miss out on some of the city’s hidden gems. Luckily, we’ve compiled a list of the best hidden food spots in NYC that are worth trying.
1. Sammy’s Roumanian Steakhouse – If you’re looking for a lively atmosphere and authentic Jewish cuisine, then Sammy’s Roumanian Steakhouse is the place to go. Located on the Lower East Side, this restaurant offers delicious dishes such as chopped liver, chicken soup, and an array of steak options.
2. Taqueria Tlaxcalli – This Mexican restaurant in the Bronx is the perfect spot for those looking for authentic cuisine. The restaurant offers an extensive menu of tacos, quesadillas, and other traditional Mexican dishes. And don’t forget to try their delicious margaritas!
3. Prince Street Pizza – This pizza spot is tucked away in Nolita but is well worth the visit. The restaurant’s signature dish is their pepperoni slice, which is made with a crispy crust and tangy tomato sauce.
4. 2nd Ave Deli – This Jewish deli is known for its pastrami sandwiches, matzo ball soup, and knishes. The restaurant has been around since 1954 and is still going strong.
5. Levain Bakery – Levain Bakery is a hidden gem located on the Upper West Side. The bakery is known for its giant, gooey cookies that are baked fresh daily. The cookies are so popular that people often wait in line for them.
6. Joe’s Pizza – Joe’s Pizza is a classic New York pizzeria that has been around since 1975. The pizza joint is known for its crispy thin-crust pizza, which is served by the slice or as a whole pie.
7. Xi’an Famous Foods – This Chinese restaurant is known for its hand-pulled noodles and spicy dishes. The restaurant has a few locations throughout the city, but its East Village location is the original.
8. Di Fara Pizza – Di Fara Pizza is a legendary pizza spot in Brooklyn. The pizzeria has been around since 1965 and is known for its thin-crust pizza pies that are topped with fresh ingredients and baked to perfection.
9. Emmy Squared – Emmy Squared is a cozy pizza spot located in Williamsburg. The restaurant is known for its Detroit-style pizza, which is made with a crispy, rectangular crust and a variety of toppings.
10. Cacio e Pepe – This Italian spot is located in the East Village and is known for its classic pasta dishes, including the restaurant’s namesake dish – cacio e pepe. The restaurant is small and cozy, making it the perfect spot for a romantic date night.
In conclusion, New York City is full of hidden food gems that are worth seeking out. From classic pizzerias to ethnic restaurants, there is no shortage of delicious options to explore. So the next time you are in the city, don’t forget to check out these hidden food spots!