Antonio Brown’s Free Agency Ends with Ravens Signing: A Comprehensive Look at the Impact of His Signing
After being without a team for the majority of the 2021 NFL season, Antonio Brown has finally found a new home with the Baltimore Ravens. The former All-Pro wide receiver was signed to a one-year deal worth $4 million by the Ravens, ending his extended free agency that started in January of 2021. Brown’s signing with Baltimore has been a topic of much discussion since it was announced, with many wondering just what impact he will have on the Ravens’ currently struggling offense. In this article, we will take a closer look at Brown’s signing and what it means for the Ravens heading into the second half of the season.
Who is Antonio Brown?
Before diving into Brown’s impact with the Ravens, it’s worth taking a moment to look at his career thus far. Brown entered the NFL in 2010 as a sixth-round pick for the Pittsburgh Steelers. Over the next decade, he would become one of the most dominant and dynamic wide receivers in the league. Brown has been named an All-Pro multiple times, and he’s been selected to the Pro Bowl seven times. He’s also tied or broken a number of records, such as the most receptions in a six-year span in NFL history.
However, Brown’s time in the league hasn’t been without controversy. In 2019, he was released by the Oakland Raiders following a series of public outbursts and altercations, only to sign with the New England Patriots just hours later. However, he was released by the Patriots after just one game due to sexual assault allegations against him. Brown eventually settled the case out of court, and he sat out the 2020 NFL season before signing with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. While he did help the Buccaneers win Super Bowl LV, he also missed time due to a suspension for violating the NFL’s personal conduct policy.
Brown’s signing with the Ravens
With Brown having such a notable and tumultuous history in the league, it’s not surprising that his signing with the Ravens has been a point of contention among fans and analysts. Some argue that Brown’s talent makes him worth the risk, while others worry that he will be a distraction for a team that’s already struggling.
Regardless of where you fall on the debate, it’s worth taking a closer look at what Brown’s signing means for the Ravens specifically. Here are a few things to keep in mind:
• The Ravens’ offense has been struggling: Before Brown’s signing, the Ravens’ offense was considered lackluster at best. The team currently ranks 31st in the league in passing yards per game, and quarterback Lamar Jackson has been struggling to find his footing. Adding Brown could give the team a much-needed spark, particularly if he’s able to return to form.
• Brown provides a deep threat: One of the things that makes Brown such a valuable asset is his ability to stretch the field. He has a career average of 14.2 yards per reception and has caught multiple deep passes throughout his career. This could be particularly useful for the Ravens, who have struggled to connect on many of their longer passing attempts this season.
• It’s unclear how much Brown will play: While Brown’s signing has certainly made headlines, it’s worth remembering that he’s only signed to a one-year deal. Additionally, he’s joining a crowded wide receiver room that already includes Marquise Brown, Sammy Watkins, and Rashod Bateman. It remains to be seen just how much playing time Brown will get, especially given the Ravens’ reliance on the run game.
• Brown is a controversial figure: As mentioned earlier, Brown’s history in the league is fraught with controversy. While he’s certainly been one of the most talented wide receivers in the NFL, his off-field behavior has caused many teams to shy away from him. It’s possible that he could cause issues in the Ravens’ locker room, particularly if he doesn’t get the playing time he desires.
What are the potential outcomes of Brown’s signing?
Given everything we’ve discussed so far, there are a few potential outcomes that could result from Brown’s signing with the Ravens:
• Brown rejuvenates the Ravens’ struggling offense: Perhaps the most positive outcome of Brown’s signing is that he’s able to give the Ravens’ offense a much-needed boost. If he’s able to return to form and make an impact on the field, he could help the team close out the regular season on a high note.
• Brown becomes a distraction: On the other hand, it’s possible that Brown’s signing becomes a distraction for the team. If he doesn’t get the playing time he desires or if he causes tension in the locker room, it could spell trouble for a team that’s already struggling.
• Brown is a non-factor: Finally, it’s possible that Brown’s signing ends up being a non-factor for the Ravens. If he doesn’t play much or if he struggles to make an impact, it could be as if he wasn’t even on the team.
Only time will tell which of these outcomes ends up being the most accurate. However, it’s clear that Brown’s signing has the potential to be a major turning point for the Ravens as they head into the second half of the season.
Antonio Brown’s signing with the Baltimore Ravens has been a topic of much discussion, and it’s not hard to see why. Brown’s talent as a wide receiver is undeniable, but his off-field issues have made him a risky signing for any team. With the Ravens struggling to find their footing on offense, Brown’s signing could be just what they need to turn their season around. However, it’s also possible that he could become a distraction or a non-factor for the team. Regardless of what happens, it’s clear that Brown’s signing has set the stage for an interesting second half of the season.
“Antonio Brown Signs One-Year Deal With the Baltimore Ravens.” CBS Sports, CBS Interactive, 2 Nov. 2021, www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/antonio-brown-signs-one-year-deal-with-the-baltimore-ravens/.
“Antonio Brown.” Pro Football Reference, Sports Reference LLC, www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BrowAn04.htm.
Lombardo, Matt. “How Antonio Brown Will Fit into the Baltimore Ravens’ Struggling Offense.” NJ.com, NJ Advance Media, 3 Nov. 2021, www.nj.com/ravens/2021/11/how-antonio-brown-will-fit-into-the-baltimore-ravens-struggling-offense.html.
Wesseling, Chris. “Antonio Brown’s Move to Ravens Creates High Stakes for Himself, Team.” NFL.com, National Football League, 2 Nov. 2021, www.nfl.com/news/antonio-brown-s-move-to-ravens-creates-high-stakes-for-himself-team.
#Antonio #Browns #Free #Agency #Ends #Ravens #Signing